Union Jack

Restoration of My 1967 AH Sprite MK4

Chapter II -- Paint the "Less Visible" Parts

Enfo Logo

Note: Each photo below can be clicked for a larger view

Left Front Primer Left Rear Primer Well, the rainy season hit, seriously. I have waited many days to get two dry days in a row. I am using Anchor industrial paints on the underbody and engine bay and it is more forgiving that automotive paint. The epoxy primer allows for top coating within 48 hours but I felt like that stretches things a bit. It also allows for higher temperature and humidity but, again, I didn't want to push things too much. Meanwhile, Dan has been trying to salvage the wiring harness and I have helped him off-and-on with that. We hung the curtains for the spray booth and installed the exhaust fan but still had to wait.

Finally, the weather forecasts all seemed to expect the same two dry days a full week ahead. Well those days finally came and they were dry. At least the first one was so, I got some primer on the underbody and the engine bay. At last there is no more red paint on my yellow car. Yes. That is the wing that got all the welding and new parts. Now, if the weather will just hold for one more day I will get some yellow paint on it.

Bulkhead Paint Bottom The weather did hold for the second dry day and I took advantage of it. I got the yellow paint on, three coats of it in fact. This is the catalyzed industrial enamel from Anchor Paint, a great Oklahoma company. I had painted a small part with the actual automotive paint and Anchor used it to mix a near perfect match. This is very good paint at about one-third the cost. I started with a fairly light "tack coat" then followed with two more full wet coats. Since I don't plan to do any color sanding, that should be more than enough paint to protect it for a very long time. This stuff is really tough, even without the urethane catalyst conversion. I feel now like that much work over two consecutive days is a bit much for an old phart. Then again, it is now the third day and the rain is here with the storms to follow shortly. Good thing I did it when I did.

Left Front Paint Right Front Paint I'll let it harden for a few days then get it off the rotisserie and back on solid jack stands. First when it comes off is a little touch up in areas that were not accessible. Then we can start assembling some of those bits that Dan has been working on. Also, I safely can get inside and begin prepping the interior for paint. Most of this is covered in upholstery, carpets or panels so not really visible. I intend to use the same Anchor paint for that too.

Front Bottom Wheel Well

Change of Plan - Paint the Interior While Still on Rotisserie

Footwell Primer Cockpit Primer Well, it did not take much thinking to realize it would be much easier to strip and paint the interior on the rotisserie than crawling around inside. So, I spent the better part of the next week sanding the rattle can primer off the inside, including the footwells and the boot. This turned out to be a bigger job than anticipated. Getting into the footwells was a challenge and, of course, that's where most of the rust was found. Inside the rear wings was not easy either, mostly due to the structural stuff visible in the photos. For some reason, I failed to get any pictures of the stripped version. Except for the floor areas which were mainly bare, the rest tended to still have original yellow paint under that primer.

Offside Wing Finally by Friday afternoon, the sanding and stripping was done so I cleaned up all the Footwells major mess and prepared for primer, as soon as I could get a dry day. Saturday was to be a dry day but Storms were expected Sunday, then dry again Monday and maybe Tuesday. Fortunately, the Anchor epoxy primer allows a 48 hour top coating window. I elected to prime Saturday and top coat Monday. All went well with the primer until I ran out of paint with about 4 square feet under the nearside wing in the boot. Fortunately, I remembered having a quart of PPG white epoxy at home. It was 20 years old but still seemed to be good so I retrieved it, mixed about 3 ounces of it and finished the job. The structural piece in the boot is the area where I used the PPG primer.

Axle Hump Well it did rain a lot Sunday morning. It looked for a while like I might be able to do the Boot Floor painting in the afternoon but the humidity stayed really high until too late to start. I did get everything ready to go though then started mixing paint as early as practical Monday morning. I did have to wait for the temperature to come up enough to lower the humidity to an acceptable level. So here it is after three good coats of paint. With that done now it can finally come off the rotisserie. I will probably install the brake line and fuel line that run under the floor first though.

Footwell Floor Floor