To Be Continued
Well, I can't decide what to name this chapter since, as often is the case in these endeavors, I don't really know the order or things that might or should get done. So I'll just leave it as is for now. Later, when I do know what has been done then I will probably change the title to be more accurate. In the mean time, these are the things that I know need to be done.
- Overhaul the mechanical fuel pump. I have a new one that appears to be the same except for the actuating lever. I hope it can serve as a parts donor or somehow one good pump can be made from the two. (See Mechanical Fuel Pump below.)
- Change the electrical fuel pump mounting bracket so it can be removed and replaced in 20 minutes instead of 2-3 hours. I have a plan but it requires removal then some welding. (See Electric Fuel Pump below.)
- Finish the repair of the rear apron and boot lid.
- Remove, clean and paint rear axle and torque tube. The drive train is already painted back to the front universal joint. This is the remaining pieces. (See Underside below.)
- Send dampers to be rebuilt then to be installed after painting the underside.
- Clean, strip and paint rear half of frame and underside. The frame and sheet metal is to be the same green as the body. Most of the outwardly visible frame is already done at least to the rear wings but the underside is not. The wooden floor boards will be black, probably by brush. (See Underside below.)
- Finish the previous repairs to the nearside front wing. It had a long split that I welded together years ago but did not grind, straighten and finish.
- Straighten the bonnet. This may not get done soon as it may be beyond my abilities. At some time in the past, the hinges wore enough to go beyond center when raising the bonnet. Then trying to pull it back down against a solid stop resulted in some significant distortion to the skin as well as the structural stuff at the hinges.
- Fit the rear seat back to the seat to ensure pleats align.
I hope to accomplish all the above over the winter months but not necessarily in the specified order.
Well again, life interrupted plans. I got started on those items but then got distracted by an important phase of the Home Remodel Project. I am at the following points on the above projects. I still hope to get them done over the winter but it will be the winter a year later.
- Mechanical Fuel Pump - The spare pump was in even worse condition than the current one. I ordered a repair kit at Small Ford Spares, and overhauled the pump. I had forgotten, however, how close the fit is with the later model steering box installed. It had to be moved in order to remove the pump from the engine. I decided to install a blanking plate, store the rebuilt pump and just run from the electric pump full time instead. At some time I will probably want a proper SU pump.
- Electric Fuel Pump - I removed the pump and bracket to work on the rear apron. The change to the bracket was to weld nuts to it so it can be held in place with one hand while the other installs the bolts from outside rather than from under the car. It works as expected.
- Underside - The car is up on jack stands to make it easier to repair the apron and some rust in the boot floor it attaches to. After the apron is replaced, I will drop the axle and prop shaft as a unit. That will give good access to prep and paint the remaining underside as well as prep and paint the axle and shaft. Then the car can go back on its wheels for the rest of the work.
- Tail Lights - Way back in Chapter 4 I briefly discussed replacing those truck tail lights with a pair of customized Harley Davidson signal lights. Well, I discovered since then that Ford actually offered optional tail lights that mount on the rear wings, like more modern cars and even many of the era. I found them at Small Ford Spares but the price was enough to make me want to stay with the H-D units. Well, desire for authenticity finally overrode my natural "frugalism" and I ordered them. Now I am pleased that I did. At some point in the near future I will get them mounted. Below are photos of them. Note the molded rubber bases to fit the wings and the ENFO logo in the closeup.